The LGBT+ community has demonstrated that estate planning is foundational.
- Giving authority to people you trust to care for you when you cannot care for yourself.
- Protecting your partner or spouse’s privacy upon your death.
- Providing for your children (especially when adoption was prohibited and the laws of intestacy did not apply).
- Providing for your loved ones on your death.
- Denying assets and access to those who do not wish you well in this life.
- Insisting on dignity, remaining uncloseted, and respect for gender identity during a period of incapacity.
We are proud and outspoken allies. We do not work with anyone who does not believe that: Love is Love.
Language is Everything
At De Fonte Law, we understand that language in law is everything. That is why using gender-neutral language is such a value. Many clients do not refer to their children as she or he, but as they, not wishing to impose an identity on their babies and toddlers. Our nomination of guardianship form can address this specifically, giving instructions on gender fluidity and identity for a client’s minor children.
Dignity in Life and Death
We also work with many Trans clients. It is critical to include information in an advanced health care directive about gender presentation requirements. Dignity in illness and incapacity is critical for everyone.
Sadly, we have learned that the older LGBTQIA+ community often suffers a re-closeting when they have to rely on assisted living or in-home care. Often finding themselves in a conservative and often homophobic environment. We speak to all of our young clients about their older generation and what it means to be an advocate for them to avoid this offensive scenario.
De Fonte Law PC is Here to Help!
If you identify with the LGBTQIA+ community, or are an ally, we are here to help protect what and who you love, connect with us![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]